I have practiced yoga since I was in junior high school. I always come back to it whenever I need to center myself and evaluate where I have been and where I am going.
After many years of working in the legal industry (for a review of my legal experience, see the page labeled “Legal bio”), I decided to take the plunge and get my yoga teaching certificate. During my journey, I decided that I want to work primarily with seniors, including those with physical and/or cognitive issues which might include Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s. It is my belief that the practice of yoga will prolong an individual’s mind/body connection, as well as offer numerous physical benefits, which will enable all to live a more connected, meaningful life. I also work with cancer survivors, as cancer has so often touched the lives of my family and friends. I am currently studying to gain additional knowledge necessary to work more effectively with these individuals.
In addition to these two groups, I am always happy to work with any individual who would like to explore the therapeutic benefits of a gentle yoga practice. Today’s world is so busy – it’s nice to have a place to go to step out of the storm for a while and rest. Lotus blossom yoga provides a gentle yoga practice to help you feel centered and relaxed. Each session is personalized and offered on an individual basis. This ensures a more relaxed atmosphere and more personal attention.
An amazing addition to the benefits of the mind/body connection maintained by yoga is the practice of meditation. A meditation practice has many benefits, emotionally, spiritually and physically. There are many medical studies showing that the regular practice of meditation can have actual physiological benefits and can be instrumental in the reduction of stress and stress-related illness.
I am an Experienced 200 hour Registered Yoga Teacher with Yoga Alliance and certified by davidji as a Meditation Teacher. I also have participated in the following trainings to further my professional knowledge:
- davidji Certified Masters of Wisdom and Meditation Teacher, receiving training and knowledge of various meditation techniques through an intensive program of study and reflection.
- Alzheimer’s Association, having attended classes to develop additional communication skills in order to teach yoga to individuals with dementia and advocate on their behalf.
- Breathing Deeply Yoga Therapy, receiving extensive training in the area of yoga therapy, integrating therapeutic postures into designed yoga practices to make those practices as beneficial as possible.
- Certified to teach yoga to individuals with Parkinsons Disease, in order to keep the mind body connection active and slow the progression of the disease.
- Numerous continuing education courses with instructors such as Brian Kest, Baron Baptiste, Brooke Hamblet, Natasha Rizopolous and Judith Hanson Lasater (both online and in person).
- Member of the International Association of Yoga Therapists
- Currently enrolled in davidji’s advanced meditation teacher training, Deeper Still, which will provide me with an additional 300 hours of training and study in the ancient texts upon which various meditation techniques are founded.
Finally, all of my profits are donated to charity, including the following organization:
- American Cancer Society
- Parkinson’s Foundation
- American Alzheimer’s Association
- Mercury Phoenix Trust (for awareness of and research for the treatment of AIDS)
- Rotary International
- Adirondack Wildlife Refuge
- Cubbie’s Angels Urgent Care Fund (a private fund supporting the Brighton Animal Hospital, providing funds to individuals whose pets need care but cannot afford it)
If you would like to discuss scheduling a personalized appointment, please use my contact page. I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Feel free to give yoga and/or meditation a try. No experience is needed – just a desire to slow down for a little while.
Be well –
be everything you were meant to be; then you won’t be afraid of anything. – fm
Lotus Blossom Yoga is a proud Presenting Sponsor of the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life event in Rochester, New York in the Summer of 2019